About Me

My Photo
Har Wai Li
kampar, ipoh, Malaysia
Personal Information Full Name: Har Wai Li Web Site / Blog: waili3000.blogspot.com Work Information: teacher Email harwaii@yahoo.com waili3000@yahoo.com My no matrik: D20102044845
View my complete profile

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Monday 3 October 2011

can - to be able to, to be allowed to

Modals - Explanation
We often use to be able to or to be allowed to instead of "can". We can only form the Past of "can" (could). To put "can" into other tenses we need the phrases to be able to or to be allowed to.

Affirmative sentences

Tense Modal Form
Simple Present I can play football. I am able to play football.
I'm able to play football.
I am allowed to play football.
I'm allowed to play football.
Simple Past I could play football. I was able to play football.
I was allowed to play football.
will-future Do not use can in the will-future. I will be able to play football.
I'll be able to play football.
I will be allowed to play football.
I'll be allowed to play football.
Other possible tenses:
e.g. Present Perfect: I have been able to play football.

Negations

Tense Modal Form
Simple Present I cannot play football.
I can't play football.
I am not able to play football.
I'm not able to play football.
I am not allowed to play football.
I'm not allowed to play football.
Simple Past I could not play football.
I couldn't play football.
I was not able to play football.
I wasn't able to play football.
I was not allowed to play football.
I wasn't allowed to play football.
will-future Do not use cannot in the will-future. I will not be able to play football.
I won't be able to play football.
I will not be allowed to play football.
I won't be allowed to play football.

Questions

Tense Modal Form
Simple Present Can he play football? Is he able to play football?
Is he allowed to play football?
Simple Past Could he play football? Was he able to play football?
Was he allowed to play football?
will-future Do not use can in the will-future. Will he be able to play football?
Will he be allowed to play football?

0 comments:

yellbox



MyGuru2

MY UPSI PORTAL

PPD HILIR PERAK

NKRA

BPK