About Me

My Photo
Har Wai Li
kampar, ipoh, Malaysia
Personal Information Full Name: Har Wai Li Web Site / Blog: waili3000.blogspot.com Work Information: teacher Email harwaii@yahoo.com waili3000@yahoo.com My no matrik: D20102044845
View my complete profile

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Monday 3 October 2011

Phrasal verbs, Prepositional verbs with special meaning - A-H

Phrasal verbs - Exercises
Here we have listed verbs with adverbs and prepositions. These verbs have a special meaning, therefore we have used them in sentences.
A-H I-R S-Z

Phrase Example
A
agree to I wish she would agree to my proposal.
agree with I agree with him on that point.
ask after Mr. Smith asked after John.
B
back off* She was told to back off.
be in Are your parents in?
be off* I'm off now.
bear with Please bear with him for a moment while he tries to put this straight.
bend over Bend over and pick it up yourself!
black out And then she just blacked out.
blame on Don't blame it on her.
blow up The bomb might have blown up.
bowl over Her reaction simply bowled me over.
break away
break free
break loose
At last, the hostage could break away from his captors.
break down Finally her car broke down.
break up Sue and Tim broke up last year.
bring along This year has brought along some significant changes.
bring down The president was brought down by this scandal.
bring in My job brings in 400 dollars per week.
bring up (1) She was brought up in Wisconsin.
(2) Why do you have to bring that up?
build up He needs to do some exercises to build himself up.
burst in with She burst in with the bad news.
butt in* How can we talk when you keep butting in all the time?
C
call in He called Kelly in.
call off I had to call off the barbecue because of the bad weather.
calm down Please calm down.
carry on Please carry on with your homework.
check out I will check it out.
check up (on) There is no need to check up on me.
close down The shop was closed down by the police.
close in (on) +
person
She closed in on them quietly.
close down The restaurant was closed down by the health department.
come around* I knew he would come around in the end.
come back Will the good old days ever come back?
come by (1) My aunt came by yesterday.
(2) I hope he came by this money honestly.*
come in Can't you just come in for a few minutes?
come over Why don't you come over next weekend?
cool down It began to cool down after the thunderstorm.
count (up) on Can we count on you?
cut back (on) I have to cut back on the water usage.
cut out* Cut it out!
D
decide (up) on I decided on the iced tea.
The court has not yet decided on a ruling.
die off/out That species died out million years ago.
do again I probably wouldn't do it again.
do in He tried to do his father in.
do up Please do your buttons up.
do without I guess I will have to do without lunch today.
draw near As the time drew near,...
drink up* Drink up, and let's going.
drive on We drove on till night.
drive off I said good-bye and drove off.
drop by* I hope you guys can drop by our house some time.
drop in (on)* I can't believe who dropped in on us last night.
drop off You can drop me off at the next red light.
dry out The clothes finally dried out.
E
ease off The storm eased off a little.
eat up Eat up, and let's go.
edge away The students laughed and edged away from him.
end up How will this end up?
even out The surface of the road was evened out.
F
face up (to) You have to face up to challenges.
fall apart The whole thing falls apart.
fall back on/
rely on
I had to fall back on my savings.
fall behind
get behind
He's falling behind with his car payments.
fall through I hope the house signing doesn't fall through.
feel for I really feel for you.
fight back (at) It's hard for him to fight back.
fight down I fought down the anger.
figure out* I just can't figure her out.
fill in (1) I'd better fill the cracks in with something.
(2) Would you fill in the form, please? Britisches Englisch
fill in (for) I will have to fill in for him till he gets back from his vacation.
fill out Would you fill out the form, please? Amerikanisches Englisch
fill up (1) The hole filled up with water and had to be pumped.
(2) We will fill up at the next gas station.
finish off (1) Finish off your cup of coffee, please.
(2) I will finish my homework up in a few minutes.
fit in(to) It just doesn't fit in.
fix up Is my bike fixed up yet?
fly in(to) I'm flying into Stansted.
focuse (on) She focused on this issue.
fool around* Stop fooling around.
G
gather up Let's gather up our things and leave.
get across How can I get it across to you
get along with He couldn't get along with his mother-in-law.
get at* What exactly is he getting at?
get back When will you get back?
get back at He will get back at him someday.
get back to I will get back to you in a minute.
get by (on) She can't get by on that much money.
get into He managed to get himself into the class he wanted.
get off on* He gets off on paying soccer.
get on How are you getting on?
get on with (1) I need to get on with my homework.
(2) How do you get on with Sam?
get out of You've got to get out of there.
get over (1) It took him a long time to get over the heart attack.
get through I tried calling you, but I couldn't get through.
get up Today I got up at 10 am.
give away (to) (1) He gave his car away to his brother.
(2) Don't give the answer away.
give in (to) Why does she always give in to her brother?
give up Are you sure you want to give up your career?
glance over My teacher just glanced over my homework today.
go after He went after the man who mugged him.
go around There's not enough milk to go around.
go away Please go away!
go back I'll never go back.
go in They went in after us.
go off (1) The bomb went off.
(2) My party went off as planned.
go off with I guess she went off with her new boyfriend.
go out (with) Will she go out with Mike next Friday evening?
go through (1) The truck wouldn't go through the tunnel.
(2) He went through his pockets, looking for his wallet.
(3) You won't believe what I've gone through.
(4) I guess we need to go through the whole song a few more times.
go under (1) I was afraid that our ship would go under.
(2) The company went under.
go without I just cannot go without some candy from time to time.
H
hand down He will hand this down to his granddaughter.
hand out The teacher handed out the test to the surprised students.
hang around (with) I usually spend a lot of time hanging around with my friends.
hang on (1) Hang on, please.
(2) They couldn't hang on much longer.
hang up Why did you hang up on me?
heal up My injury healed up in around no time.
hear out Hear me out, will you? I have more to tell.
heat up How soon will lunch be heated up?
help out Can you help me out?
hide out (from) Ben was hiding out from the police.
hit back He hit me, but I didn't hit him back.
hit on* Tom was hitting on Mike's fiancée.
hold back I held back the anger.
hold on Hold on a minute! I have to check this first.
hold out I don't know how long they can hold out.
hurry up Hurry up, will you? I got some errands to run today.


0 comments:

yellbox



MyGuru2

MY UPSI PORTAL

PPD HILIR PERAK

NKRA

BPK